Background checks are important. They carry more reliable information than an applicant’s resume. They serve as a barrier that helps the HR in filtering applicants based on their needs. Background checks are a vital part in hiring an applicant because it gives them the insight about an applicant, whether he is the perfect fit for the job description or not. Neglecting a background check can lead to grave consequences. Below are some of those consequences.
- You may have legal issues – Without background check, you are susceptible to discrimination issues and negligent hiring. We all don’t want that, surely.
- The company will be at risk financially- Getting the wrong person will cause financial damages to the company. It will also cause more trouble because of the time and effort you are going to spend looking for another applicant after you let go of the wrong employee.
- It may compromise the safety of your workplace- Not looking up a person’s criminal records will not give you a peace of mind especially of you have a suspicion that an applicant might have severe criminal records. Safety in the workplace is one of the most important things to maintain and consider when hiring a person.
- It may affect the overall performance at work- One person can change the work environment. A drunkard, a drug user, or someone with temper issues can cause tension and trouble at work, resulting to the poor performance and lack of focus of some employees. It is only rational to get a background check online because it will prevent these circumstances from happening in the office or workplace.
- You might not pick the right fit- You need someone who is not just qualified to perform the job, but someone who is appropriate for the work culture, schedule and atmosphere in the company. You need someone who can be trusted with each project and task that needs to be done before the deadline. When you get a background check online you are a step away from the wrong hire.
It is important to conduct a background check first before hiring an applicant to ensure that whoever the HR accepts is a perfect fit for the job. Also, by performing a background check, you helped not only the company, but also yourself. You freed yourself of the guilt of hiring the wrong employee when you know in the first place that the person you hired is completely clean.